1. What is the special scheme for Residence Permit for Investment Activities (RPI)?
The RPI scheme allows third-country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit for the purpose of Investment Activities, waiving a residence visa to enter the country.
2. What are the advantages of the RPI?
In return for the investment made in Portugal, the RPI beneficiary can:
- Enter Portugal waiving the residence visa requirement;
- Live and work in Portugal, and maintain another residence in another country;
- Move freely in the Schengen area without a visa;
- Benefit from the right to family reunification;
- Have access to permanent residence (after 5 years, according to the law in force);
- Have access to the Portuguese nationality (after 6 years, according to the law in force).
3. Who qualifies for the RPI scheme?
All third-country nationals engaged in an investment activity, personally or through a company incorporated in Portugal or in another EU state, with a permanent establishment in Portugal, who meet one of the quantitative requirements and the time requirement under applicable law. The RPI scheme does not apply to citizens with Portuguese nationality and to EU and EEA nationals.
4. What are the quantitative criteria that an investor must satisfy in order to apply for a RPI?
As a minimum quantitative requirement, at least one of the following situations in national territory must occur:
- The transfer of capital for an amount equal to or greater than 1 million euros, including investment in shares or equities;
- The creation of at least 10 jobs;
- The acquisition of immovable property for an amount equal to or greater than 500 thousand euros.
Where the Investment is made through a company, the RPI candidate will only be accountable for the proportion of the investment corresponding to its equity position.
The RPI requirements can be changed, but the process of changing a requirement for another must not exceed 3 months. This change must first be validated by SEF (Foreigners and Border Service).
5. What are the minimum time requirements for the investment activity?
The minimum time requirement for maintaining the investment is of five (5) years, following the date when the Residence Permit is granted.